An impending closure spelled the end of an era and the loss of jobs for around 40 employees. That is, until a group of determined and dedicated workers stepped up to the challenge and fought for Saskatchewan’s brewery.
The brewery was built in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1927, operating as the Hub City Brewing Company. The plant became the Western Canada Brewing Company in 1930 and then Drewery’s Limited in 1932.
In 1956, the Brewery was acquired and operated as O’Keefe Brewing until 1989 when an amalgamation between Carling O’Keefe and Molson Brewing Company spelled the end of the brewery.
A group of 16 determined and bold employees stood up, pooled their resources and formed the Great Western Brewing Company. Now, the Great Western Brewing Company is one of Canada’s most successful regional brewers and an internationally recognized producer of world-class beer.